Messerschmitt Bf110E “Wespen” Winter 1942
The 110’s from the Wespen geschwader are one of my favorite German aircraft, unfortunately I never did build one, till now.
This kit is the Eduard 8203 from 2007 in 1/48 scale. It does include a lot of extra PE parts which are very detailed.
The kit did build quite well except for the fitting of nacelles to the wings and the nose cone. A lot of grinding and filling was needed there. Furthermore some small flash remains were present on a most of the parts.
Also a set of canopy masks were added and that really helped in painting the large canopy.
Before starting I was a bit worried about the camouflage, it would be my first ever winterscheme. After applying the primer, I used a combination of black and darkgrey pre-shading on various locations. After that I finished the entire surface with white in small amounts till I got the result which to me looked correct.
Exhaust stains were created with airbrush which was also the first time I did it in this way. Before I was always afraid to spray to much and ruining the build. Really had to step outside my comfort zone this time.
Decals were applied after a gloss coat and did come on pretty well, except for the Wespe. I was really struggling to get them on without wrinckles, even decal softener was not helping a lot. In the end I think they look quite ok. At the end a satin coat was applied.
Although there are some points which can definitely be improved, I’m pretty happy with how the winterscheme and the exhaust stains turned out.
14 additional images. Click to enlarge.