Too much monkey business?
AndrewH recently posted his 1/12th Tamiya Honda Monkey and here’s my attempt. I had cataracts on both my eyes last year and had an operation to correct this in September. Having new eyes was amazing and I wanted to build something to test them out. This kit is one of Tamiya’s more recent offerings in this series and seemed ideal. I also added a “detail up” kit, but, to be honest, this was pretty much a waste of money. I hoped to have a flexible metal chain, but the links were almost impossible to assemble and only resulted in a rigid chain anyway, so I kept Tamiya’s moulded plastic one. The other reason for the extra kit was to have metal brake discs, again these were very difficult to assemble and I ended up sanding down the kit’s plastic ones and grafting on the metal disc. I experimented a little with painting the fuel tank and forks by giving the red an undercoat of gold, and finishing with a coat of pearl clear. However the areas to be painted are so small that it hardly notices. The only other slight deviation from standard was the white trim stripe around the saddle. The saddle is made of a black vinyl type material which looks great. Tamiya suggest painting the stripe white, but I didn’t think this would be a good idea as the paint is unlikely to adhere to the vinyl very well. Instead I cut a strip of white masking tape as thinly as I could and used that. It’s possibly a little overscale but I think it “pops” quite well. As you can see my newly recruited QA team seem to approve. The last picture tries to show the small size of the Monkey posed in front of a “proper” motor bike. All in all it’s a great little kit, highly recommended. Thanks for looking, George.
26 additional images. Click to enlarge.