Douglas A-20G Havoc – AMT 1/48
This build was inspired by some recent A-20G builds from our friends here at iModeler, as well as the fact that I was able to pickup this kit secondhand at my local hobby shop. The kit was the “Wings Aviation Collection” boxing, however the box was unsalvagable and the decals were in no condition to use (water damage). To my delight (and later dismay), I also found a set of Aeromaster decals, sheet 48-104. Upon further inspection, I came to realize that this sheet is meant to supplement the original kit’s decals, and thus I had to source some insignias from the spares bin. This left me with a need for canopy masks, as well as masks for the wing top walkways, etc, thus I purchased a set of Montex masks for this need.
The kit itself is actually quite good. It was not perfect, nor without fit issues or filler, but the panel lines are just about right for scale appearance, and the form is good (save for the main tires, which I used.. but did you notice? hehe). Some details are there, and some are sparse (like the bomb… cavity). This kit builds well OOB with no frills, or if you wish, it presents itself as a great canvas for scratch detailing.
In the cockpit, I decided to use a Yahu pre-painted instrument panel, as well as some Eduard harnesses. Random placard decals were placed around the ‘pit, and some scratch and rearrangement work was done predominantly on the starboard side bulkheads. The canopy latch was left loose, as you can tell in the pictures. One accuracy discrepancy that I just didn’t want to go back and correct up to this point (notice post paint) is that the Montex canopy masks do not by default produce a horizontal support in the front quarterwindow, which must be a unique feature found on A-20G’s vs other variants. Life raft is putty, and a lame attempt at reality, but good enough when seen through the canopy. Lastly, the inner frame of the turret was carefully brush painted with a dull coat to represent the crazed plexiglass in scale.
Early on, I settled that this would be the “Green Hornet”, which served as part of the 675th BS, 417th in the PTO, 1944. The green wing mottling was new for me, and the only challenge with it was determining the right color to use. I had seen Medium and Dark greens as options, and in the end thought that the understated look of the Dark Green fit better against the OD. The whole model was preshaded, then only the upper surfaces were post shaded following X-22 to seal, decals, and an oil wash. Thinned Vallejo Matte Varnish was then sprayed over the whole model. Rigging is Infini Aerorigging (0.055mm)
I hope you like it! This was certainly a fun build of what I find to be one of the most attractive and too oft-underrated twin engine aircraft.
Photos adjusted for lighting and color. I hope you like! (Also, the comparo’s for fun!)
25 additional images. Click to enlarge.