Luftwaffe GB: Combo build of ESCI/Revell 1/48 Henschel Hs-123A-1, kit number H2231
This build was part of the great combo build of the ESCI/Revell/Italeri 1/48 Henschel Hs123A1 done by Spiros, @fiveten, and myself.
It was built in the amazing Imperail German Air Service / Luftwaffe Group Build started by Louis Gardner @lgardner
The kit I built was the Revell box H2231 and when opening, the smell of the old carboard indicated clearly that it was old. Decals looked already brittle and trying one made clear that they could not be used.
Thankfully Pedro Rocha @holzhamer was very kind to sent me a set of his decals so that I would still be able to build it with the three color splinter camouflage. Eventualy I built the aircraft in the scheme from 3./JG165 "Immelmann" in 1937.
In general a very nice kit but it does require some attention at certain points.
Putty is needed at some areas and in my case the upper wing had quite some warping.
Ideas from Spiros @fiveten for cutting the elevators and lower them slightly and adding rods for the trim tabs, are well appreciated.
The idea from Louis @lgardner on how to mount the main wheels more easily in the wheel covers was very helpful as well.
Using the GasPatch manual is very helpful since this contains lots of details which are not present on this kit.
The decals for the tail section became a real struggle and in the end I decided to paint the red band and white circle by airbrush.
To my opinion it turned out not that bad, it does look more realistic than applying decals. The swastika still is a decal.
The original tail wheel from the mold had to be removed entirely and rebuild from scratch.
Improvement on the painting can still be done, you can see the demarcation lines where paint built up against the masking tape, Tom @tcinla has notified me about this on previous builds but I still need to improve more.
I did some more intense weathering, but on some areas I think it is a little bit to much.
Nevertheless, I'm pretty happy with the outcome of this kit.
I would like to thank all the people who followed the thread and commented on the progress.
Special thanks to Spiros @fiveten for having this great combo build and his motivating words and extra challenges he brought up.
Also special thanks to Pedro Rocha @holzhamer for helping me out with the decals, for some reason the decal issues followed me throughout the entire build.
The list below show the extras I did compared to OOB:
- Foot straps from masking tape
- Seatbelts from masking tape
- Exhausts are drilled and shortened because they were too long compared to what can be seen on reference material
- Air vents just behind cowl openend for more realism
- Modification of the tail wheel to match the correct version
- Added a 'tube' on the engine which is also present on a lot reference pictures,
(not clear what the function of that tube is)
- Cut the elevators to lower them slightly to give it a bit of dynamic view, thanks to Spiros @fiveten for the idea
- Rigging (just four wires) made from fishing rod
- Replaced the fuel struts by much smaller metal wire
- Fuel tank modified, less extreme fuel cap and valve
- Rods added for the trim tabs
- Added gunsight, coming from a Fokker DXXI
- Decals used are from Pedro, @holzhamer, who was very helpful in sending me those since the orignal ones in the box were to brittle to be used
- Antenna wire from Ushi van der Rosten
30 additional images. Click to enlarge.