Testor/Italeri AC-119K Stinger Gunship 1/72
May 6, 2015 in Aviation
I just finished this one in time for our club’s contest April 18th. Built out of box except for flight crew, and some stretched sprue for the whip arial on the nose and some cabling on the illuminator. All decals were from the spares box as the ones from the kit were just way to thick with old glue. All in all I was happy with the outcome, except that the day before the contest as I was putting in the landing light lenses I lost one in the shag carpet! Had to improvise and am going to have to re-do what I did (nope – won’t let you see it!).
Since I don’t airbrush, once I finished the paint and weathering, I gave the entire aircraft a dullcoat finish with MM spray cans, then brushed on Future on the black to bring that back to a gloss finish as on the real aircraft. I didn’t spend much effort “weathering” the black undersides, but did the usual post shading of panel lines and panels with pastel powders. No oil dot filtering on this one.
I finally remembered to take a pic of the flight deck before I sealed up the airplane. Since I always build “in-flight,” much of the work in that space get’s lost once the canopy is closed up. I typically do just enough detailing to make it look realistic enough, but don’t spend too much effort since it’s hard to see once finished.
I modified the crew by filing off their oxygen masks and attempting to leave a “nose.” That’s why they look a bit like zombies in the pics – but you really can’t tell in the finished product.
10 additional images. Click to enlarge