1/32 Hasegawa Ju87D-3
April 26, 2016 in Aviation
I love the Stuka, but my first foray into 1/32 was a 1/32 Hasegawa Spitfire VB that I refurbished- an old friend gave it to me when he decided he wasn’t interested in kits anymore- it was shortly post High school, it was stripped of its Acrylic paint, and reworked, painted and decalled. I will post it on imodeller the next time I have some free time from work.
I have had a few 1/32 kits almost started for a while now- this was one of them. Over February Break I pushed to get a few kits off the workbench, this one is probably the one I am most proud of.
There are no hobby stores in Bermuda, so the only way I can get enamels for modelling is to pack them in my bags when i go on trips to the US. The Stuka started a few years ago, but then horror of horrors I didn’t have any interior dark grey. I tried to mail order some acrylic (only Testors acrylic is allowed by air- Tamiya is deemed “Flammable”). Sadly, the bottle of testors acrylic was off and I could never get it to brush and spraying it was not possible- testors has an acrylic thinner that can’t be shipped by air! Double horror and wasted money!…So, the kit languished until I got luft interior dark gray. It then sat a while longer due to a few life issues.
February break this year I was focused and snatched it off the “started” pile, determined to get it done. I wanted a 1/32 SC250 bomb rather than use the kit supplied behemoth centerline bomb. Aftermarket SC250’s only seem to be sold in pairs. I have no other 1/32 Luft in the collection that would use an SC250 bomb, so with some drawings i scratch built one using an Otaki 1/48 Zero drop tank, and the spinner from a Tamiya 1/48 Me 109E kit, and plastic card. I had purchased a Rutman resin replacement prop blade set when i first got the kit (and money was more available!) so that got put together, and all the airbubbles and sink marks were filled and smoothed out for each prop.
After getting the kit painted, and things were heading to the decal phase, I suddenly realized that the Stuka I was modelling from a photo (using the Revell Stuka kit decals) had a strange exhaust stack- I learned that the early D models had a fairing over the front of the exhaust stacks. I saw that there was a resin part available, but figured I could do it myself. I ended up using two halves of a 1/72 GBU from an Italeri B-57 kit! I was really happy that the touch up is not noticeable at all, considering I carved away kit plastic, added the bomb halfs as fairings, then shaped a bit and brush painted.
It was very interesting to research the centerline bomb crutch as well. From what i saw in the research, the arms of the bomb crutch could be adjusted to fit different sized bombs. I added a strap to the bomb, and bent wire to match the subtle “s” curve arms. I wasn’t sure if they would be black or the underside colour, so went with the camouflage colour.
Another area that was very indistinct (in instructions and in photographs of models or the real thing) was how the rear turret was configured, which is why I included pictures of what I did- to help other people.
One overlooked detail for D Stukas as well, is the intake on the cowl on the Starboard (right) side. At rest it seems like it could be closed or partially open. Closed seemed more often the case, so I closed mine and added the two hinge arms that are shown on the door when closed- something Hasegawa missed.
After brush painting the canopy frames on the inside of the canopy, I coated with Future, and brush painted the exterior frames- I always leave the canopy frames to very near the end of the build, not sure why! I am also proud of attaching the armoured glass panel to the windscreen with future floor polish-it took some careful application but I did get a clear attachment with no fogging!
So here it is- my 1/32 Stuka.
Next in 1/32 for me; a partially started Trumpeter 1/32 F4U-4 is on the bench, and I hope to post pics of it finished during the early part of my summer break!
Thanks for your time!
11 additional images. Click to enlarge