Airfix Fiat G.91 R-1, 1/72
Just finished this for a club ’50s group build. It was a very simple kit, but lacking in detail – no interior at all. The “seat” provided was replaced by one from the spares box, and I added wire ejection pulls. Pilot was actually in the box (love those old kits for that!). I added the canopy bulkhead, pitot tubes (none provided), and a jet pipe made from a filed down and sawed off spare drop tank.
The worst item in the box were the drop tanks/pylons – they were laughably small and cartoonish! I found a set of in the spares box and modified by filing off the top fin, drooping the other fins and then adding the finlets from styrene. The pylons aren’t totally accurate, as the G.91 pylons protruded from the wing leading edge, but it just looks way better with what I used!
Painted with Vallejo water-based acrylics and weathered with pastel chalks and Tamiya weathering sets, and some Tensocrom fluids. I finished with oil filtering, and this time I decided not to overcoat with dullcoat, as I felt like it would cover up some of the fading I achieved with the oils.
Decals were an aftermarket set, with lots of stencils taken from my spares stash.
12 additional images. Click to enlarge.