1/72 Matchbox PB4Y-2 Privateer
Finally have some pics to post of the finished build. My apologies for the quality - me and my iPhone have a more difficult time with larger subjects!
This was the "enhanced" Privateer build that I posted in the Aircraft WIP thread, and if you're interested in the details, especially all of the scratch building in the turrets and cockpit, here's that link: http://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/1-72-privateer-enhanced-matchbox-build/
My inspiration for this build was last year's Oklahoma City contest when I encountered Ben Fulcher's 1/48 Privateer (I think it won best of show - rightfully so!) Here's my post about Ben's build: http://imodeler.com/2017/06/148-privateer-soonercon-an-inspiration-for-my-next-build/
I had the Matchbox kit, which is basically a huge blank canvas for paint work, and the only areas lending themselves to detailed work - and what would naturally attract the eye - were all the areas under glass - the cockpit and turrets. There was absolutely NOTHING in those areas (other than the cockpit) worth looking at, so I scratch built them from the ground up, and used two sets of Falcon vac-formed clear parts for everything except the tail turret. I used Quickboost barrels, but everything else was styrene, wire, clear acetate and tape.
I also secured a set of resin engines/nacelles, and a set of resin props.
The only extra details I added in the cockpit were all the throttle and engine controls, some details behind the pilots seats on the rear bulkhead, sun visors, and a center upper console and some wiring up against the canopy. Paint and decals sufficed for the instrument panels. The pilots, upper turret and blister turret gunners came with the kit, but I had to use some spares box pilots for the nose and tail gunner.
I used some sections of drilled out sidewinders to create the exhaust vents beneath the engine nacelles. Other additions were the lights between the bomb bays, the whisker antennae and the aerials, and rigging was with Uschi line. For all the small windows I used Krystal Klear.
For as big a canvas as this is, there are almost no panel lines or other details. What lines were there I highlighted, then drew in everything else with .02 lead pencil (for major lines) and pastel chalk powders applied with a glue applicator brush (only use I've ever found for those brushes!). I ended up getting the dark blue darker than I wanted, and under a coat of dullcoat the panel line work just about disappeared, so I went back and applied white artists oils to almost every individual panel on the upper surface, which helped bring back the appearance of all the panel line demarkation. I lightened the control surfaces with some Tamiya weathering masters and even used some Flory's "snow" wash. I used zinc chromate yellow and metalizer paints (brushed from the jar) for the chipping. Weathering was just about everything in my toolbox - Tamiya weathering sets, pastel chalks, Pitt pens, oils and some other fluids.
I think I mentioned my two problems with the build before: silvering of the decals (despite all of the techniques used to remedy) and my gaff in installing the canopy and front deck section. You have to cut out a portion of the front deck to use the Falcon replacement, and under test fitting it went down great. However, once I got super glue on it and put it in place, I failed to notice that I had it misplaced slightly on top of the front edge, as I was focused on trying to get the rear section "spread" to dry properly against the rear edge (which is the only reason I used super glue instead of white glue like I normally do). Once I realized my mistake I didn't want to try to pry it off or use glue solvent, so tried to file it down as far as I could. You can see from the close up pic that it's still noticeable.
Overall I'm pleased. Looks much better up close and personal than in my mediocre photos! Took about 7 months of work, so now I'm going to focus on some small builds with very little enhancement (ok - after I finish the Airfix Pe-2 ...) 🙂
This was also my Nose Art group build contribution. This "Blunderbuss" Privateer is one of the few aircraft from WWII that seemed to have nose art only on the starboard side, so it's hard to see well once in my display case!
14 additional images. Click to enlarge.