1/48 Hobbycraft Mig17 (War Eagle)
Yet another kit that had languished on the shelf of doom- a hangar queen that was on pause for too long. I had always wanted to build a Mig17 in VPAF markings- and back in the day of collecting kits I saw this one as an opportunity. It was a second hand kit that someone had started and was on sale most likely at one of the mail order second hand kit suppliers I used to frequent when a single man just out of college!
Compared to the Mig 17 kits out there now, it is a bit soft on detail and lacking in others. Fortunately. I got hold of a True Details replacement cockpit- a major improvement over the kit parts.
The exhaust needed a bit of work and had been improved by the previous owner.
The War Eagle Hobbycraft release of this kit comes with a large number of optional markings (they are pretty good)- the decals are free for anyone interested, just send an email and I will forward them on to you.
Early on I had heard of this particular marking scheme belonging to “Col. Tomb”- allegedly shot down by “Showtime 100”- the F-4J flown by Cunningham and Driscoll. the following site gives a very interesting article on the construct of the VPAF ace that most likely did not exist:
There is one photo of “3020” and a myriad of interpretations of the camouflage scheme- just google 1/48 Mig 17 “Col. Tomb” and you will see what I mean. I initially airbrushed what I thought would be contrasting greens, which seemed to just merge together in the end. After a coat of future, the build stalled for quite a few years (can’t remember the timeline at all) because of the paint.
Lately, I have been finishing off kits that have sat for too long- see my 1/72 Bv138C-1 article. After picking up the Mig 17 out of its shallow box grave last week, it took me three days to finish it- FINALLY! I mottled some dark green enamel with a brush over my future coat and was happier with the result after a coat of flat varnish.
After looking at the photo of 3020 in different resolutions, and contrasts, I think I will add a bit more paint by hand around the bort number. It will most likely help with the annoying silvering you can see in the pictures.
So- I guess a little more to go, but I had to get this posted- to keep me motivated to finish a few more builds before the end of my summer break as a teacher!
5 additional images. Click to enlarge.