1/72 Airfix F-84F Thunderstreak Diavoli Rossi
The box art on this kit got my attention right away with the super flashy Italian Airforce Red Devil (Diavoli Rossi) demonstration team livery. The decal sheet is the highlight of this kit. The molds are from the 70s so the kit has raised panel lines and a pretty horrible canopy. The fit is actually pretty decent except for the canopy which is too narrow for the fuselage. I added styrene strips to the outside edge of the canopy and faired the styrene in with Mr. Surfacer 500 to make it match the fuselage width better.
The wings fit very well so to simplify painting I painted the fuselage and wings while they were still apart.
To paint the Italian flag colours on the underside of the wings and stabilizers I first airbrushed decanted Tamiya white primer on the under surfaces of the wings and stabilizers. I masked off the white and red areas with Tamiya tape and then airbrushed Tamiya green X-28. More masking and I sprayed the red colour (decanted Tamiya bright red rattle can at the same time I painted the red areas on the fuselage.
I polished the fuselage seams with fine sanding sticks and then Novus plastic polish in preparation for painting. I skipped priming as I find primer adds roughness to a bare metal finish. I masked off the red areas and sprayed the Tamiya bright red at the same time I sprayed the bottom of the wings. Once dry I masked over the red areas and airbrushed very thin Humbrol Metalcote polished aluminum on the fuselage and the top of the wings. I didn’t want to risk masking over the Metalcote to paint the red fuselage areas. Metalcote can pull up when removing masking tape.
The decals went on very well using the Microscale system. The decals are slightly translucent so the many red areas didn’t match the Tamiya Bright Red perfectly. In retrospect I should have used a less intense red to match the decals better.
12 additional images. Click to enlarge.