Gloster Meteor, the nose job one.
What is it with Airfix and noses? Their Sea Fury i just completed recently is a bit of a shocker and now this. I suppose it keeps one busy instead of just stick part a to part b type of deal, but it is a tad annoying. Anyway, besides that it isn't a terrible kit, although, if i was to do one again i would start by sanding down every outer surface after laying the first coat of primer, she's a bit rough in that respect.
Some additions to the engine were made as it is a bit basic but it does look nice with an engine exposed, as well as the port side gun panel. The tail decals are a bit iffy, they came up short which required some touching up after a night of sitting with decal solution applied. The inner wing decals were sliced to remove most of the clear section for better fit and look and the wings themselves were 'degapped' with lashings of Tamiya tape.
My pre and post shading is a tad heavy, reason being i wanted her to look like the box art which just looked cool regardless of authenticity. No oil or other weathering was done on this bird which is a first for me for quite a while. A mix of Tamiya and Vallejo colours were used, Tamiya on top, Vallejo for the undersides and post shading. Vallejo 50/50 mix of matte and Gloss completed her.
I did this build concurrently with a He162 to show two late war jets together for a forum build, not realising the F.8 Gloster i was doing is circa late '48. Oh well, jets are not my strong point, and she looks neat alongside a 262 🙂 The most i got out of this kit was an appreciation for the Gloster, it has never been on my list of 'sexy' aircraft, i always thought she was a bit of an ugly duckling...but i came away from the build really liking her lines and seeing the evolution from prop to jet within her. She is actually quite a pretty plane.
Thanks for looking in all and have a good one.
21 additional images. Click to enlarge.