Airfix/Academy Spitfire 21 “Frankenspit”
Waste not, want not. Done last year.
After the brilliant Airfix Spitfire XIV came out, I had no further use for the screwed-up Academy kit. Annd I had enough parts left over from some Airfix Spitfire 22/24 projects that I had a fuselage and wing. So I decided to make a Spitfire 21.
Basically, this is the Spitfire 22/24 fuselage from the cockpit forward and the lower fuselage half, mated to the Academy rear fuselage/vertical fin. I discovered that the Academy fuselage is 3/32 inch too deep, compared with the correct Airfix kit. I fixed that under the horizontal stabs by taking out a section, to keep the lower fuselage line. I then used a left-over narrow-chord Airfix Spitfire XIV rudder, since the Academy was too tall with the correction. The Academy radiators and prop were used, despite not being "right" due to being "available."
I used the Airfix kit decals for the upper wing insignia, then leftover decals from an Airfix Spitfire XII, with the rest of the national insignia from the Airfix XIV kit, and serial pieced together from other sheets.
Planet Models did a Spitfire 21, which was basically a resin casting of an Academy Spitfire XIV too-deep fuselage mated to an Airfix wing.
91 Squadron got the Spitfire 21 in March 1945, and took it on operations in mid-late April. Its only wartime "kill" was a German Biber minisub caught on the surface and strafed.
The Spitfire 21 was so different from the previous Spitfires that at first it was planned to name it the Victor.