Academy 1/72 OV-10D Bronco – Desert Storm
This is my entry for the Desert Storm group build. I added details to the cockpit - some bulkhead at the rear deck, boxes, cables, ejection handles, etc, knowing it would be pretty visible under that expansive canopy. Nothing extra to the external other than drilling a few vents.
My first time with AK Real Colors - I really liked them. But I'm still new enough to airbrushing that I had a few issues - I need to "overpaint" a bit more on my first color, and then do a more careful job masking so I don't leave gaps between the colors - especially when I'm trying to paint thin over blackbasing to get some mottling showing through. The first color I used for the lighter shade was totally the wrong color so that gave me a chance to go back and clean up some of my mistakes.
The other issue I faces was trying to figure out how to get the airbrush in those tight spots under the wings on the sides of the fuselage and booms. My solution was to glue the booms to the tail section, and then paint the fuselage and booms/tail section separately, then attach. The challenge was then filling and painting the gaps where they join. Didn't come out perfect, but I think it was an overall better solution!
I used kit decals, and Academy isn't known for having great decals! They worked ok, but the combination of those decals and me learning to get a better gloss coat out of the airbrush led to a little silvering - I used the "slash and Microsol" technique to try to eliminate it, and for the most part it isn't too noticeable. Overall I'm pleased, and I'm now inspired to do a Prowler with the Desert Sand scheme (which includes another darker brown to the mix). Coming soon... after a few other builds on the bench are done! Happy New Year!
14 additional images. Click to enlarge.