Tamiya 1/48 North American P-51B Mustang
This is one of those projects that started out great, but ended on a not-so-high note. I was very happy with the construction, paint, and weathering. Alas, when I took the 26 year old decals out of the water, they shattered into a million pieces. Not really that surprising, but this is where everything took a turn for the worse. I decided to use a sheet from Eduard’s Chatanooga ChooChoo boxing for the national insignia and stencil decals.
As it would be, they are out of register. Even some of the data stencils. Also, I searched around for Gentiles’ markings, and could only source a KitsWorld sheet in 1/48. I ordered it, not realizing it was a sheet released in 2008. When it arrived, the markings were so thick, it was palpable when running a finger over them. I’ve used there stuff before to good effect, but this early sheet is garbage. At this point, I just went ahead and used them. Why not, I’m already over this project. As predicted, they didn’t respond to my decal setting solutions (Micro-Sol, and Mr. Super Hot Acid Bath Destroyer Of Worlds Softer). There are some areas of silvering, a lot of panel lines that have disappeared under them, and whatnot.
Anyways, “improvements” were:
Eduard seat harness
Drilled out gun barrels
Drilled out exhaust stacks
Position light next to the antenna is a blob of cyanoacrylate gel
Please enjoy these photos of my Certified Four-Footer.
9 additional images. Click to enlarge.