Junkers Ju.88 A-4
This build is of a 1967 boxing of the 1964 Frog kit, alas, without the “F 20 Spin-a-prop motorizing kit!” I had read in numerous Detail & Scale books about Frog kits, but had never built one, as such. So when I saw this one for $14.99 I passed up a newer and better version for what I assumed would be a cheap and easy build. The cheap part went out the window when I realized I could not build what I wanted - a 1940 or 1941 version in the dark green/black green camouflage without getting aftermarket decals. While the 1942 Russia winter decals implied that the aircraft could have been in that scheme before winter, other sources showed the aircraft in this scheme in the Mediterranean in 1943. So I opted for a sheet of after market decals - specifically Techmod 72111 which had two options in that scheme, one of which was a 1941 unit on the Eastern Front.
The kit is terribly basic - close to being a toy - and doesn’t lend itself to anything but a basic build. The biggest problem I ran into, though, was the paints I used. There is just almost no difference between the Tamiya Dark Green and Black Green, so I spent a lot of time with washes trying to increase the contrast. If I do another aircraft, I’m likely going to switch to another manufacturer and see if I have the same issue.
This is the worst kit and the worst build I’d done since I started the hobby again. But since the goal was to learn about a German medium bomber I knew little about, it was still time well-spent. But I’m ready for a modern, well-engineering kit next!