1/77 Monogram Trimotor
I was looking for something inexpensive that I could use as a pallet for some painting and weathering techniques that I wanted to try. I found this ancient (originally from the 1950s) kit in my local hobby shop for sale for a few bucks on consignment, so off I went. I wanted to try some light scratch-building, so I added a cockpit interior, an exhaust system for the two outboard engines, the two wing landing lights, and some circular intakes that are missing from the kit. The tailwheel was molded as part of the rudder, so I removed it and scratch-built a new one attached to the rear of the fuselage.
I did a little research on this plane, and discovered they were used for just about everything you can imagine, including a trip to the South Pole. I found that late in their careers some of these planes were used as aerial firefighters, and I was intrigued by how they looked. I wanted to create a model that would have a distinctive paint scheme, as well as a platform for doing some weathering.
I painted and pre-shaded the plane with various colors of Vallejo Metals, and then used AK 3rd Generation acrylics for the wings. I used chipping fluid to get the worn effect on the orange panels. The markings were all painted using masks that I created using my wife's die cut machine that she uses to make greeting cards. I was worried that the corrugations would cause some bleeding under the masks, but they worked perfectly. I was really pleased to find the machine would cut really small markings. The small registration numbers on the tail are only a little over 1mm in height.
This model was a lot of fun to build and weather, and it really brought back the good-old-days when I built this kit as a kid. The full story on this build is located in the Work in Progress Group if you want more detailed info. Thanks for dropping by. Everyone stay safe. Cheers.
12 additional images. Click to enlarge.