Airfix 1:48 Bristol Blenheim Mk. I
I finished this in August 2021. I enjoyed the build, which is OOB with the exception of some Eduard photo-etch seat belts. This recent Airfix kit is quite complex. From a fit point of view it's not as well engineered as Tamiya, but what is? Overall, things went together better than I should have expected from Airfix. The multiple clear parts, while crisp and well molded, were the most difficult area of the kit. Having tried and liked SMS Premium acrylic lacquers (from Australia), I used them again for the upper camouflage colors of Dark Earth and Light Stone. I faded the Dark Earth somewhat for a bit of sun fading, and I brought out panel lines with Tamiya Brown Panel Line Accent Color. The under surface color is Mr. Color Black. Decals for national insignia are from the kit (very good); individual plane markings are from an Xtradecal sheet. The model depicts K7107 VT-B, a Mk. I from RAF 30 Squadron based at Ismailia, Egypt in April 1940. I'm indebted to Britmodeller tonyot who informed me that the plane was most likely painted in Light- rather than Mid Stone.
I didn't mention this when I first posted the article, but FWIW let me share my technique for the Bristol exhaust collectors. I started with an overall base coat of Alclad Stainless Steel, which has become one of my favorite Alclad shades. Then I masked the thin center rings and began applying Alclad Burnt Metal Sepia to the remaining areas in light, misted coats. This product is not a metallic shade, but rather a darkening agent, so one can apply as many thin coats as one wishes until one attains the desired amount of discoloration. I then applied a very light flat coat to bring the shine down a little. Hope this is helpful to anybody.
5 additional images. Click to enlarge.