1/72 ModelSvit Beriev Be-12 "Chayka"
I received a request from a customer to build a "BE-12". At 1st I did not recall what this was but after some research I found out what is was. I was excited because I enjoy unique builds but then did some research on the exact model and found some mixed reviews. Yes although ModelSvit is improving it is still a small, limited run model manufacturer and as a result it has many challenges common to the limited run industry. Reading the past build reviews helped greatly and I was able to prepare for the challenge resulting in a fairly smooth build. Photo references are essential especially for the build up of the complex landing gear. The "Clear" plastic assemblies offered the most challenge especially the nose sections. I did not use the photo etch detail included for the nose section because it was so fragile and thin that it broke apart while bending and Dry fitting. The perfect placement of these items were just overwhelming. You really cannot see this detail once assembled anyhow. The fuselage sides consisted of 4 pieces which were 2 main fuselages pieces, a clear nose piece and a tail boom piece. I debated on how to approach this assembly. The instructions have you assemble each section separately and then attach these to each other. I choose to ignore this after a tremendous amount of dry fitting which resulted in gaps and mismatches. I assembled the 2 main fuselage side sections to each other prior to bringing the completed Halfs together. I then attached the separate nose and tail section assemblies to the assembled fuselage. You must use a lot of care to avoid steps in the fuselage. The wing sections are complex and offer some challenge. My wing assembly is not perfect. This is where the most filler is used. The engine nacelle to wing assembly is not easy and overall fit is poor. Lots of filler with those joints. This model took me much longer to complete then most builds due to the extensive dry fitting and experimentation with assembly steps. The painting was the easiest step b/c overall just one base color, light ghost grey. I painted the white hull stripe as opposed to using the included decals.
26 additional images. Click to enlarge.