1/48 Monogram Junkers Ju-87G-2 Stuka, backdated to a Ju-87 D-5, STAB 1 / SG5
It’s been a while since I have posted anything here on Imodeler. Today I took a break from working on anything and decided to post something previously built instead……………………….
Here’s one from the display case that I built many years ago.
It’s the really old Monogram 1/48 Ju-87 Stuka, that came with the 37MM under wing cannons. I made quite a few modifications to it. It’s back dated to an earlier Ju-87 D-5. Around 200 of the later G-2 model cannon armed Stuka’s were built using the extended wing from the earlier D-5 variant. I’m pretty sure that the dive brakes were not used on these planes.
I used brass tubing for the wing mounted MG 151 20 MM cannons.
The under wing 37 MM “tank busting” cannons were not used on this build. Stuka’s had the option of carrying various underwing stores. It depended on what the mission was as to what they carried under the outer wing panels on the ETC bomb racks. Here’s a photo showing some of the available ordnances.
I scratch built up a seldom seen option that was occasionally carried on ground strafing missions. According to the Squadron Signal “Ju-87 in Action” book,
these were called “Watering cans” and consisted of 6 “MG 81” machine guns mounted in a self contained pod. The “Z” listed in the photo is short for “Zwilling” which means “twin” if I’m not mistaken.
These were mounted in place of the outboard bomb racks, and had an ill fitting ETC rack cover. These MG’s were 7.92 MM Mauser weapons if memory serves me. This would have certainly dispensed a LOT of MG rounds in a short order at any ground target, especially when you consider that 12 MG’s were firing at the same time…………………. (and possibly 2 X 20 MM cannons).
Another modification I did to the Stuka, was to get rid of the aileron and flap linkages. These were replaced with metal rod, since the kit parts were molded solid and looked rather crude. I think this looks much better and more realistic than the ones originally provided on the kit parts.
I also added three small strips on the wing walk way and detailed the bomb crutch.
Initially I wanted to build a typical Ju-87 in the splinter camouflage of RLM 70/71 over 65. However when I ran across this aftermarket decal sheet (Aero Master 48-141) I just had to paint it up with a winter time finish. The cool part is that some of the original splinter finish shows through, especially around the cockpit areas. This plane represents a Ju-87D-5 as flown by Stab 1 / SG5 marked as “L1 + CB”.
Here are a few photos that I found online that show other Ju-87’s from SG 5 in winter white wash paint. Notice the exhaust stains.
This picture may be of the actual plane I modeled mine after. I didn’t have these photos back then when I built my Stukas…………….
Once I decided on the paint scheme, I gave a very light coat of white spray on top of the splinter finish. Then I brushed on rather haphazardly the white using random strokes like I have seen in photo’s of various Luftwaffe planes. I did this step rather sloppy on purpose and it may have taken me about 2 minutes to do !!!!!!!
Lastly I dirtied the Stuka up some and gave it some serious exhaust streaks over the white finish. The Germans refined gasoline from coal (and other things besides oil later in the War), and because of this, the exhaust staining was more black than anything else. If you were to look at a WW2 US Navy Hellcat for example, the exhaust would look more tan / grayish in shades. This was due to the high lead content in AV gas used by the US.
Anyhow, this is a nice break for the day. I have taken more photos of a few other Luftwaffe builds, and plan to post them up here in a day or so. I wanted to try out a new base for photography to see how it looks. Eventually I may pencil in some lines to make it look more like a plane parking ramp.
As usual, comments are encouraged.
22 additional images. Click to enlarge.