Pilatus PC 21, 1/32 Scale Scratch Build, Part 5
Here we go again, did some major work the last few days, as well as spend time with my Family, which was great, so its off to the DRC tomorrow with a stop over in Johannesburg, then an early departure to Lubumbashi on a Embraer EC 135 Private Jet, which is the coolest part of the trip, as I can spend time in the cockpit.
This is what I managed to do the last few day’s:
1. Laminated 1mm plastic card together for the vertical stabilizer, Cut out and sanded to shape.
2. Made up the cockpit tub, this was the tricky part of the build so far, lots of measuring and test fitting to get the fit ok, as well as the height of the ejection seats, the scale drawings dont give the position of the seats so I had to look at a lot of reference pictures to get it to look ok, hope you approve.
3. I made the instrument panels and the instrument side walls as modules so that they can be installed when the instruments have been detailed and installed, and to be able to move them backwards and forwards to get the position ok so that they look just right. I used some old ejection seats to get the fit and sizes for the tub and side walls.
4. Installed the cockpit tub and joined the fuselage halves using a jig I made up with Balsa wood. This was important, as a twist or miss alignment would spoil all the work I have done so far, I got it sorted ok, looking like a Pilatus now.
5. Filled the joins with super glue, with a sprinkle of Bicarbonate of Soda (this helps to fill the gaps and makes the joint really strong), also did this with the gluing in of the cockpit tub. Before you glue anything, make sure and double check the alignment and fit.
6. Sanded the fuselage smooth and sanded all the joints to get them smooth, Filled all imperfections with Tamiya Putty and sanded everything with water paper. Washed everything in dish washing liquid, Dry, and Prime with Humbrol Primer, 4 coats. This fills some of the scratches and small imperfections.
7. Used the same jig I mentioned earlier to line up the front cowl and glue into position.
That’s it for now, hope you like the pics and the progress report, you will have to excuse me for the next 2 week as I have to go make money to pay the bills.
You are welcome to PM me with any questions.
14 additional images. Click to enlarge.