Royal Navy F6F Hellcat Mk 1 – Attack the Tirpitz!
Here’s my latest completion, Otaki’s aging F6F Hellcat kit in1/48. The subject is one of the first Hellcats that went to 800 Sqn FAA, HMS Emperor, and participated in the Royal Navy strikes against the Tirpitz, while she was anchored in Norway. This Hellcat accounted for 3 FW-190’s.
The Otaki kits were great in their day, and still serve as a good basis for detailing and scratchbuilding.
– Detailed gunsight, True details cockpit, scratchbuilt rear bulkhead and armour plate based on photos, replaced machinegun barrels, and exhaust with aluminum and brass tubing.
– Canopy is Squadron vacuform with internal structure from plastic strip.
– Removed and scratch built wheel wells from photos and plans, scratch built arrester hook and holdback, detailed landing gear, and thinned and corrected gear doors and actuators.
– Rebuilt and corrected droptank as per photos.
– Detailed engine and wired, added cowl inner structure and details, deepened intakes and added screen.
– Added formation, ID, landing and nav lights with acrylic rod.
– Painted with Tamiya acrylics, weathered (hairspray technique) with stiff brush and sharpened toothpicks, pastels and enamel paint.
– Decals from Techmod, spares, and custom made.
27 additional images. Click to enlarge.