Supermarine Walrus Mk.I No. 700 Naval Air Squadron, 1941
Greetings to all.
Herewith I’m presenting my first ever bi-plane.
Not sure why I finally made the decision to start this build, because I’m not into building bi-planes at all, yet.
But for some reason it did attract me although it is certainly not a gracefull airplane.
I found a couple of Walrus builds here on iModeler and used them as a reference although their quality is a bit above my capabilities.
With this build I also tried to get a bit more into the scratchbuild world.
Using examples found in the beautiful build of our friend Giannis Asimakos (@mfcg), I created some flight controls with cables and also the guidance rails for the machine guns.
Some smaller things are the antenna mast on the tail, which seems to be forgotten by Airfix, the ropes on the side of the fuselage and nose, the seatbelts which I made from masking tape and fine metal wire and drilling the exhaust heat collector part.
It was the first time that I had to cut original parts, the struts, which was required to get the rigging attached.
For the rigging I used the approach as explained by Giannis in his build.
Fishing line with a diameter of 0.23mm was used for this.
At first the wires were applied to the upper part of the bottom wing and next, with the struts in place, to the bottom part of the upper wing.
It did took some years of my life, but in the end the rigging was in place.
Even more wires were applied than indicated by the Airfix instructions.
The real one just does have more cables and I did want to add those as well.
Also spacers were added on the main rigging wires, thanks for the explanation by Tom (@tcinla) and Erik (@airbum)
In the end I’m pretty happy with the rigging although points of improvement are definitely there.
Because of the double wings, applying camouflage is also not that easy as with a single wing plane.
Especially the presence of camouflage on top of the floats and the nacella made it a bit difficult.
Personally I’m not fully happy with the camouflage colors, for some reason I have the impression that they do not fully represent the original ones.
The tone difference between the upper and lower wing however did work out well.
Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and Tom (@tcinla), for explaining why this tone difference is there.
The kit from Airfix is really an enjoyable build, all parts fit very nicely, although I had to follow a different route than the instructions because of the painting and rigging.
To be honest, I’m pretty happy with the end result and that I finally finished my first ever bi-plane, including the rigging.
Not sure if I will start another bi-plane shortly, but two wings do give an extra challenge.
Thanks everybody for the support and encouraging words I recieved in the group build.
This has definitely helped a lot during the construction process.
It was a very enjoyable build and I learned a lot.
25 additional images. Click to enlarge.