Airfix 1/72 A-4P Skyhawk, Argentina
This is my entry into the Falkland's War group build - the new-tool Airfix A-4. Built OOB except for the replacement of the spine aerial and the addition of fin loop aerials to convert from a B to a P, and the addition of a TER to handle the bomb, per references.
This was my first build of a new-tool Airfix kit. The plastic was softer than I'm used to, and it seemed their sprue gate positions were somewhat awkward - I had to be careful not to overdo it when cleaning them up.
AK Real Colors paint for the camo, and Tamiya for the yellow. The yellow ID markings were eventually overpainted with a darker brown during the war, and I vacillated a bit to decide which way to go (or leave them off altogether), but finally decided the yellow would make a more interesting model.
This was my first use of Liquitex acrylic inks for some of the weathering - mostly the fuel stains and bottoms of the fuel tanks, some of the streaking, and some overall grunge on the underside. Jury is still out on the streaking aspect - I think I have more control (in 1/72) with AK pencils or even pastels for some of the smaller streaks and leaks I attempt.
Mig panel washes - a grey for the underside and brown for top - was used to accentuate the panel lines. In the yellow areas I used a much lighter shade of brown.
I drilled the gun barrels. The spine aerial was sheet styrene cut to shape. The loops on the fin were from a loop aerial in the spares box cut in two. In hindsight, I should have drilled a small placement hole through the fin to line them up identically. I didn't realize I was going to add the loops until I had already painted the model, so eyeballed them and used Gator Grip glue. The only dimension I missed on was front/back - if you look straight down over fin it's obvious. Oh well.
13 additional images. Click to enlarge.