Messerschmitt Bf-109G-6 – Hasegawa 1/32
Here are the main modifications I made to the kit: I replaced the kit cannon pods with resin from Barracuda cast. The corrected spinner is from Eagle Parts.
For the cockpit, I added Eduard lap belts and a shoulder harness made from paper with Eduard buckles. The kit IP was replaced with a color Yahu version.
My interpretation of the mount of Alfred "Martillo" Hammer of JG-53 was based on period photos of his plane in different periods as well as photos of JG-53 109s in general and artists' profiles. I tried to get the mottle right and also the correct sequence of the splinter, which is a bit hard to interpret.
Paints were a combination of MM Acryl for the RLM 76 and matt coat and Gunze for the RLM 74/75 splinter and mottle. Decals are Eagle Cals - not so easy to work with and too thick and rubbery in places. Wing crosses are painted on using Montex masks ( I found that the Eagle Cals were silvering to much to use). General weathering was with oils and pastels with Tamiya smoke plus a charcoal and pastel finish for the exhaust staining.
The antenna wire is EZ Line. I made the attachment points with scrap photo-etch and the insulators from styrene tubing, stretched over a candle to make it thinner (while remaining hollow).
I had to really take my time to mount the open canopy - I created tiny shims at each corner so that the windscreen and rear canopy would support its weight. The framing on the inside was added using super thin styrene and bits of painted decal.
BTW the final underside shots are late in the build but still in progress. I was too nervous to flip the completed model to show the undersides, especially with a delicate aerial to consider.
This one has been a long time in the works. You can see the build progress in the Work in Progress - Aircraft GB, if you are curious. Hope you like it.
31 additional images. Click to enlarge.