Fighter Bomber Squadron 34 "Allgäu" October 1, 1958 – June 30, 2003
The Jagdbombergeschwader 34 was set up in Nörvenich on November 29, 1958 and relocated to Faßberg in the same year, where it received the first Republic F-84F "Thunderstreak" aircraft. In April 1959 the association received its final Location, the Memmingerberg Air Base.
In 1964, Fighter Bomber Wing 34 was subordinated to the 1st Air Force Division.
In the same year, the conversion to the F-104G "Starfighter" began.
On May 5, 1969, Jagdbombergeschwader 34 received the 1971 Aviation Safety Award for accident-free flight in 1972.
On November 26, 1982, the squadron took over the tradition of the former Jagdgeschwader 54 "Grünherz". As a sign of the takeover, the squadron captain of the 1st flying squadron was given the "Grünherz" coat of arms. At the beginning of the following year, the “Central Training Unit F-104 G” (ZAE) started flight operations.
1987 began the conversion of the last unit of the air force to the new aircraft type Panavia Tornado. The fly-in of the first Tornado and the fly-out of the "Starfighter" was on
Celebrated October 23, 1987. By this time, the squadron had completed 242,785 flight hours on the F-104.
On December 31, 2002, operational flight operations were officially ceased. The final decommissioning took place on June 30, 2003. Memmingerberg Air Base, where the fighter-Bomber squadron was stationed, was disbanded the following year.
18 additional images. Click to enlarge.