Wingsy Bf.109 E-1 – “The Bull and the Mouse”
By the end of this year’s summer I got my eagerly awaited Wingsy bf.109 E-1 thanks to the help of my friend and fellow iModeler Erik Gjørup (@airbum).
I immediately challenged him to for a dual build journal since he too wanted to get his model built.
I elected a pre-war 1939 machine, simply because I always wanted to build a full 70/71 splinted camo 109 and happen to own decals for a very unusual “comics” machine, flown by Oblt. Karl Ebbighausen of Jagdgeschwader 26 “Schlageter”.
Only one original photo to my knowledge shows Ebbighausen at the cockpit of an Emil adorned with the drawings of a charging bull and a Mickey Mouse, both memories of his past Legion Condor service back in the cruel Spanish civil war.
That said, I found this kit to be a little gem, in many regards the best in town for a quarter scale “Emil”, with accurate dimensions, full details, some superb surface rendition including fine and restrained riveting, plus based on the actual use, some fabulous decals, that have minimal carrier film, perfect registration and colour and leave no silvering.
However, there is one aspect that makes me recommend this kit only to those who have a lot of endurance to apply photo etched parts everywhere.
You see Wingsy has several parts that are only made in PE, and I don’t mean seatbelts or cockpit bells & whistles, I mean radiator louvres, hinges and cables and the odd exhaust pipes protection pieces. All these could also be made in injection plastic with probably the same (or very near) quality and finesse, making the build experience a whole less troublesome, even fastidious. Tamiya did them some 20 years ago…
Here are some more pictures of the completed model, taken outside at today’s sunny afternoon.
Decals are from the box with the exception of the unique aircraft cartoon markings, swastika and the “Schlageter” shield.
Painted with Gunze acrilics for the upper 70/71 greens, and AK real colour a for the lower 65 blue.
Weathered with oils and AK weathering pencils.
Replaced the pilots seat, propellor blades and scratch built a few parts on plastic to replace some of that unnecessary PE options. I also added some MG17 tips from my resin spare box to fill the void holes seen for the wing armament
A big thank you again to Erik for his kind offer in adding a few tiny resin turnbuckles that are spot on to recreate these small tie-down loops used to rope the plane to the ground during windy days.
Wishing you all a very happy, healthy and prosperous new year!