Eduard 1/48 Fw 190-5 Light Fighter – Walter Nowotny
“Major Walter "Nowi" Nowotny (7 December 1920 – 8 November 1944) was an Austrian-born German fighter ace of World War II. He is credited with 258 aerial victories in 442 combat missions. Nowotny achieved 255 of these victories on the Eastern Front and three while flying one of the first jet fighters, the Messerschmitt Me 262, in the Defense of the Reich.
He scored most of his victories in the Focke-Wulf Fw 190, and approximately 50 in the Messerschmitt Bf 109. He was credited with three victories in this aircraft model before being killed in a crash following combat with United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) fighters on 8 November 1944. He was flying a Me 262 at the time.
Nowotny radioed that he had downed a B-24 Liberator and a P-51 Mustang before he reported one engine failing and made one final garbled transmission containing the word ‘burning’.” (Above content lifted from AirPages.ru)
This particular Fw-190A-5 scheme depicts Nowotny’s 2 tone dark green “4” that he flew in the Soviet Union during the summer of 1943. This was an early A-5 light armed fighter that had the same wing as the 4 series with the mid span MG-FF cannons removed nor did it have any under wing or centerline racks. All the decals and paint guides needed for Nowotny’s mount are included in Eduard’s boxing. Strictly an OOB build, this is the my second Würger and contribution to the ongoing Luftwaffe group build currently in progress here on iModeler where you can find my build thread.
Simply put, Eduard’s Fw 190 ProfiPACK series are wonderful kits and a joy to construct. I’m sure I will be building a third one down the road. I had no problems other some minor self-inflicted flubs. That @#&*#$% carpet monster ate the front windscreen (part N8) so I substituted the extra windscreen included on the clear sprue (but not correct for this A190A- 5 model) only to have it crack in half while polishing it. Ok. Let’s try the windscreen from a never to be built Eduard 2006 Fw 190A tooling that I had sitting around. Nope. Too tall and too wide. Fortunately the good folks at Eduard came to my rescue and sent me a N8 replacement, which fit perfectly.
One other thing you need to keep an eye out for is the stance of the landing gear. Although the kit’s main gear legs lock into place in the wheel well e-z peesy, you still have to check the gear angle, which I forgot to do this time around. The wheel axles should protrude forward just beyond the leading edge of the wing when viewed from above. I had to go back in there and wiggle them around even though they had been glued for some time, but I managed to get it almost right without snapping them off. Whew….
Everything else went smoothly except for the spinner spiral decals that absolutely refused to cooperate. I ended up cutting my own spiral mask by tracing the image of one from a old Eduard mask set onto a piece of kabuki tape and applied it over the already painted glossy RLM 04 yellow spinner. Then I sprayed it with dark black green and voila! Not as easy as it sounds, but it works with a lot of patience.
Paints used were mostly Vallejo and Tamiya acrylics topped off with a protective coat of Future followed by two coats of Alclad II Flat Klear Kote to finish it off. Uschi .03 mm elastic thread was used for the antenna wire.
Thanks for looking!
13 additional images. Click to enlarge.