Vickers Wellington Mk.Ic, Polish 301st squadron, Trumpeter 1/72
At first I had the idea to build it straight out of the box but since it was a gift from my daughter I decided to make it even more special.
A PE set from Eduard was used to make the interior look even more busy and a bit more realistic, same counts for some exterior parts like the balancers on the vertical stabilizer, brake lines and horizontal antenna underneath the fuselage.
The kit had no option to show it with open bomb bay, although as you look on the net, nearly all photos show the Wellington with open bomb bay. It was also mentioned by Tom @tcinla, that this was normal behavior of Wellingtons.
I decided to cut the single piece bomb bay door into the thirty required seperate bay doors. The inside of the single piece was decorated with correct panel lines which made it a bit easier to perform the cutting proces. A lot of work I have to admit but I'm pretty confident with the outcome.
Painting was done with my preferred Vallejo acrylics paints. Dark earth and dark green were used for the upper part, black mixed with black grey was used for the lower surface. This dark lower surface was more difficult to weather than I expected. A lighter grey was used to create the exhaust stains. A mixture containing rust metallic was used to paint the exhaust collector rings and exhaust pipes.
After my return to this hobby, it was my first 1/72 scale. In the past I did build only 1/72 but it seems that age has caused 1/72 to become a much smaller scale than I was used to. Still it was a real pleasure to build this kit, with the help of a magnifier. The fitting of this Trumpeter set is really great. Interior has nice details from the kit itself but the Eduard PE set makes it more complete.
The entire build can be found here:
I want to thank all of you who followed this thread and provided me with valuable information and motivating words.
And special thanks to my daughter who made it possible to get this wonderful kit on my bench.