1/48 Hasegawa Junkers Ju-87D-3 Stuka, II / Stg 2, “T6 + EK” winter 1943-44 “Ost Front”
Here’s one of the Luftwaffe planes I removed from the display case a few days ago,then took a series of pictures.
I removed 4 Luftwaffe subjects to take pictures of in all. (I’ll post the others here in a few more days).
This one is Hasegawa kit #09285, and was built pretty much right out of the box.
It is a real beauty of a kit. The fit was fantastic and it is well engineered. The cockpit is well detailed and looks great as is. The rear gunner’s seat / basket is very delicate and will break if you’re not careful………. ask me how I know.
I repositioned the control surfaces. One aileron is up, while the other is down. The rudder is kicked off to the right side. The elevators are dropped down. The flaps have been lowered. I really don’t know if this is how the real Stuka’s would have been occasionally parked (probably not), but I simply thought it would be cool to try.
I used Aero Master decals #48-141 for this build. When I saw the green splinter camouflage with a bunch of tiny white spray dots over the original pattern, I thought this would be a cool one to build. I built this Stuka at the same time as my last posting, which was the old school Monogram Ju-87. I liked the fact that the original RLM 70/71 splinter pattern could still be seen under the white dots.
I was recently able to find a few pictures online of what may have been the source photo for the decal set.
I used Model Master enamels, colors RLM 70 and 71 over RLM 65. It was masked off and sprayed with an Aztek air brush. The tiny dots were done using the fine / tan spray tip. The exhaust staining was thinned down flat black paint that was air brushed on from the front of the plane towards the rear. At this point in the War, Germany was refining coal into gasoline, among other things. The coal sourced fuel gave the planes a very dark / black prevalent exhaust. (They also had a distinctive smell to them). If you have ever been around a WW2 German plane you will know exactly what I mean.
However I did make one other small alteration. Applique Armor was available as a field modification on the later Ju-87’s. I decided to give this a try and used some thin plastic card stock to simulate the added armor plating. The plates were simply bolted onto the exterior of the cockpit. I used a very small drill bit to make marls on the plastic to represent these bolts. If you look really close you can see this.
The Stuka isn’t the prettiest of planes, but it is a cool one to look at ……………… (if that makes any sense). You either love them or hate them. I tend to really like them……………
I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did when I was building it.
Thanks for looking and comments are encouraged.
20 additional images. Click to enlarge.