Revell B25J “Jaunty Jo”
After making the move to Wilmington, NC and settling in, this was my first build in about 4 months. I had heard issues with fitting, almost unfillable seams, and the always reliable tail sitting problem. Upon opening the box, I realized how large this aircraft was for a 1/48 build. Having done the F4U Corsair, F6F Hellcat, and the F105D "Thud" prior, I was actually surprised at how big this medium bomber was. Upon getting to work, the first major problem i had was the size of the cockpit in contrast to putting the fuselage together. The pilots seats, main deck, and instrument panels were just to big for the fuselage to come together. So after about 45 minutes of carefully whittling away plastic I was able to squeeze the fuselage together. Every other step in between came together like a dream! No gapping seams, no issues with fitting after the initial problems, etc. That is until the second to last step which is the putting together of the nose of the aircraft. Glass top, plastic bottom and some of the machine guns would not cooperate at all. So again, whittling commenced, although this time much more carefully due to the whole aircraft being assembled, and eventually I got a good enough fit to where a nice coat of paint covered any abnormality. I recommend this build to anyone who likes to have fun and has a steady hand as I dont mask my glass, and there is a lot of it on this build, and loves a good ole B25. I did try weight in the nose but I didn't have enough so I had to use the rear entry hatch and stool that comes with the plane as my prop. Beautiful aircraft and I'm thoroughly pleased with the outcome. Any criticisms or comments are welcome as I build for pleasure and love the feedback so I can try new things and improve my skills. Have a great night everyone!
5 additional images. Click to enlarge.
Looks good, do you brush paint or is this airbrushed?
All hand painted. Want to try and perfect the hand painting before I get into the expensive lifestyle of the airbrush folks
Looks good for brush painting.
Well done, Dylan!
Turned out really well I think...as for nose weight, perhaps next time, try putting some extra weight in the engine nacelles. I've found that #8 birdshot works pretty well...it's small enough to get into some pretty small spaces and usually does the trick.
Great job, Dylan
I like this. A great, solid, well detailed and well painted job, Dylan. She looks like a Mitchell and I'd be very pleased with it.
P.S got to love a good, tidy bench!
nice job dude!
Looks good! I also brush paint - thought I'm just now getting my airbrush set up for the first time. Love the B-25 - got a PBJ on my bench right now.
Go! Brush work impressive. This reminds me of one of my early builds in the late 50's a
B-25 in balsa wood. A fun but challenging kit for a young teen. Wish I still had it. Remember it
hanging in my bedroom for years.