1/48 Special Hobby He -115 B-1
1./KFIGr. 406 Norway 1942 This is definitely NOT the kit to attempt as a first limited run project. It requires a large amount of prep work especially thinning the trailing edges of the flying surfaces and the floats are also areas of concern. Mounting the floats was not a major problem but it's best to use brass pins to strengthen the attaching points. The supporting diagonal fuselage to float struts were a major PIA. They simply would not fit the fuselage or float attachment points. I ended up cutting the feet of the struts off and attaching them in their proper locations. I then fabricated the struts by laminating plastic strip stock together and sanding them to an airfoil shape. Using calipers I measured the proper length for the struts and cut them to size. These thankfully fit like a glove between the feet. Other than this it's a typical limited run build, i.e. putty and sand! It was work, but I'm happy with the result of the effort put in to it.
15 additional images. Click to enlarge.