Frog 1/72 Fairey Barracuda Mk. II
This was a project that started as “I’ll just do a little clean-up on this old kit,” and turned into a major project. I’m only posting the finished project pics here, but for details, especially the interior construction, you can see the WIP thread here: https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/frog-into-prince-1-72-barracuda/
Rather than post a full narrative, I’m going to try to use the new photo editing capabilities to indicate the improvements made.
This ended up being one of my favorite projects in a long time. Lots of details in so small a package, and I was really happy with the way the paint and weathering – especially the final oil filtering and fading – turned out.
These three pics highlight most of the detailed work:
The interior build out included all the bulkheads, IP panels, fire extinguisher, pilots headreast, radio, observer and seat. The vickers gun was built up from a simple piece I found in the spares box, with the magazines being fashioned from engine trolly wheels from an F-14 kit, and the swiveling gun mount being constructed from a couple of sections of landing gear legs plus wire.
The raft release lanyard was a thinned strip of tape meant to mask curves, with the red strips being pieces of painted Tamiya-type tape. Aerial line is Uschi line.
Decals were for Pacific Fleet Barracudas, and some of the stencils were from the spares box (don’t read too closely – they were for modern aircraft, but they were the right shape!).
This one was also hand-painted – just getting my spray booth set up in my sons room (with permission), so will soon bite that bullet. Used Vallejo paints, a water based panel wash in grey for underside and black for top. Pastel chalk powers for some post-shading and dirtying up, then oils for final dirty details around panels, traffic areas, fluid stains and an overall top side fading. I also used oils to get a wood-grain appearance on the M.A.T. air tail on the torpedo – I like the result (found a tutorial on how to do it), though I wish I’d gone with a slightly more ply-wood tint to the color. Chipping was a little bit of silver pencil – mostly on the prop – and MM metalizer paint around panel lines and walk areas.
21 additional images. Click to enlarge.