Italeri PBJ-1D, 1/72
Started this one quite awhile ago. It got put on the shelf after being masked for painting, waiting for me to move, get my airbrush booth set up, and then finally take the plunge into using it! This was my third project airbrushed (after the Savage and Vindicator), and the first time I tried pre-shading. Didn’t really like the result of the pre-shading (I’m still learning about AB control, and paint opacity). (More on pre-shading/black basing when I post on my F-2B). I also had two other issues – 1: I messed up masking the clear section of the nose and allowed white to be seen on the interior of the front greenhouse, and 2: when I tried to lighten the center of the panels with the same color paint lightened with white, it came out darker! Not sure what the issue was there unless it had to do with opacity – I remixed a second time with an even lighter mix, and just about brought it back to where it was.
Mostly OOB except for scratchbuilding the interior sides of the bomb bay doors (and actuator rods), since it was to be posed up with the torpedo suspended, and adding the gun blast shields in front of the fuselage gun packs. Also did a little detailing of the engines.
I used the test aircraft scheme, since the torpedo-totin’ PBJ never went to war (as far as I know). Used AK pencils, pastel chalks, and Tamiya master weathering sets for the weathering.
20 additional images. Click to enlarge.