UH-34d 1/48 Gallery Models
A few words about the kit:
It is good, rich in detail and plain ok for the asking price.
It allows for super-detailing if you're into this sort of demons... For example, it has parts and details that if you don't cut open some points, noone will know they're there.
On the other hand, it has errors, and some are gross:
- First and foremost, the box scheme (the most beautiful in my opinion) cannot be built as it featured a different type of landing gear. But, because I liked the scheme, I decided to ignore this shortcoming.
- Second, the side windows of the cockpit are wrong, they had to be bigger. Here you choose whether to do surgery or not, I chose not to, because I was afraid of ruining something beyond repair.
- Third, the two collectives in the cockpit are missing
- Other minor flaws that you will find if you decide to do some research. But they do not remove points from the kit.
As for the construction, I think I added details wherever it could be added:
- Personnel cabin, such as the modification of the two-seater seat in a single for the gunner, and a support mechanism for the M-60, seats, etc.
- Engine (cables, handles, chaos...)
- Exterior (grille openings, rings, handles, antennas, cables, crane and more)
- Transmission box etc.
- Loads crane
Extras used were res/kit wheels, eduard's cockpit interior and two M-60 resin guns.
Decals are a mixed bag. Stickiness and durability are fine. But the stencils are for laughs (see photo), and the big red front decals couldn't comply with the complex curvature of the engine dome, so I removed it and repainted the dome. Luckily, th kit provides a spare (one 2-part and one single piece), so for my second attempt I took the single piece, cut it in half, then each half in another 3 parts, so that it can follow the curves. Success...
I used Vajello colors, weathering was done with oils, pencils, powders, gunze gloss varnish and Galeria Matt.
I could go on for hours about the kit and the construction, so anyone who wants to ask something, feel free to do so. I have also done a lot of research and I have a lot of material, so I can contribute to anyone who is thinking of going for it.
I hope you like it.