1/48 Tamiya AD-4 Skyraider VMA-121 Korean War
April 1, 2017 in Aviation
I was overjoyed when I found out that some AD-4 Skyraiders received armor plate kits in the Korean War. For me, this meant I could use the Tamiya 1/48 AD-6 kit mostly out of the box…..er… what I mean is, I wouldn’t have to grind off the plating already present on the kit.
I used the old resin KMC Skyraider seat from their cockpit set, as I felt the seat was more accurate for an AD-4 in the Korean War.
I had to move an antenna (from fuselage spine to under the tail section) and scratch build one (on spine behind cockpit) as well as remove the beacon on the tail.
I noticed in photos that large capacity bombs on the centerline of the Skyraider tended to have a bracing fitted. I used thin plastic card to replicate what i saw in pictures. I used KMC Tiny Tim rockets, in addition to the bomb and HVARs from the Tamiya kit. I had to scratch build the early skyraider wing pylons.
I airbrushed the Sea Blue, and then followed it up with about 3 coats of future applied with a brush before decalling. I used Eurodecal decals (no longer in production) obtained via a very generous modeller online! When researching this airframe, I found there was a bomb tally missing on the Eurodecal sheet. What to do?
Online again- another modeller very kindly offered some 1/72 B-17 bomb tally decals, which were EXACTLY the right size and shape!- Incredible!
Living in Bermuda, I am ALWAYS very grateful for the help available to me via other modellers over the internet. That is why I try to help others when I can if I have parts or decals to offer.
The decals were sealed in with two coats of Future (to help snug down the decals) and two carefully brushed coats of Micro Satin, as these aircraft lost the gloss sheen of their GSB finish in theater. Then I airbrushed some exhaust stains on the fuselage. I have been a bit afraid to add mud splatter to the wheels and undersides, but hope to do that once I get my confidence up to do so!
Thanks for your time!
8 additional images. Click to enlarge