Yet another 109E – Airfix 1/48 Bf-109E-7 trop
This is Airfix’s 1/48 BF-109E-4/7. It’s a nice easy kit and fairly well detailed. (not as nice as Eduard’s, but not as expensive, either!) The main issues were overly long landing gear legs, wrong canopy, prop could use replacing, and thin but translucent decals.
– Detailed cockpit with wiring and small details (controls, cranks, canopy handles etc), drilled lightening holes in rudder pedals and added toe straps, rebuilt gunsight, removed molded seatbelts and added Lion Roar belts.
– Modified open portion of canopy to correct 109E-7 configuration (removed center frame and scribed sliding panel edges)
– Modified air intake filter (added mesh to top and bottom and framework) and added actuating cable.
– Drilled out cannons and machine guns, opened up exhaust intakes on front, added rudder cables, repositioned radiators to open position and added front support bars.
– Shortened landing gear by 3/16″ and added hydraulic lines, brake hoses, actuating rod.
– Antennae from fine copper wire
– Ultracast prop, Quickboost exhaust, Lion roar belts.
– Painted with Gunzie and Tamiya acrylics, weathered with pastels, oils, and Prismacolor pencils.
– Decals from kit, and Superscale
Hope you like,
10 additional images. Click to enlarge.