Revell 1/72 Bf-110 G-4 Hungarian Night fighter
This is a VERY old Revell kit. The plastic had a few raised lines, the radar was very thick and clunky, and there was not a shred of detail in the cockpit.
So...started by sanding off all the raised lines, in prep for scribing and riveting the aircraft. I added a couple of IPs to the cockpit and some throttles and sidewall details (most of which you can't see once the THICK canopy was plopped on), and 3 crew members. In regards to that canopy, I had purchased a canopy mask set for some other brand kit - just hoping it would come close to matching - but no such luck. The raised detail on the canopy was so thick, that I just decided to sand the canopy down flat and use the mask set. Unfortunately, it is kinda obvious that this canopy was much wider than the one the set was intended for as the lines between panes are over-thick, but I think it probably came out about as nice-looking as if I'd masked this one with the original raised frames without a mask set.
I opened up several intakes and vents beneath the wings, added the gun ports beneath the nose, and drilled out the 3 ends of each exhaust and the gun barrels. I used Albion Alloy slide-fit aluminum tube for the pitot.
I replaced the probe and cross-piece sections of the radar with a brass set (don't remember the brand) - that was kind of tough in this scale. They included a spare set of probe and cross pieces so I attempted to weld them, but I don't have a small enough soldering set, so used super glue. I got all the way to the last thing I was doing before I doinked one of the cross pieces off, and had to glue it back on with Gatorgrip Glue since I couldn't use the jig I'd created to line everything up once it was on the aircraft. Although I like the look of these fine brass pieces, they are really challenging to work with in this scale.
I saw an image of this bird with Hungarian markings and really liked it, so painted on the fuselage and upper wing markings and used decals for those beneath the wings. I used AK Real Colors paint, Mig Panel line washes (2 shades), and then weathering with AK pencils, Liquitex acrylic inks (mostly the faded dirt tone on the underside, and on the underside of the fuel tanks), and the usual pastel chalk powders. Chipping with aluminum paint and silver pencil.
I included a couple pics of what I started with on the interior, and the few details I added.
12 additional images. Click to enlarge.