Profile Photo

  • 52 articles
  • 3,462 karma
  • 11 friends

Camnet Construction continued...

This article is part of a series:
  1. 1/35th Leopard Line Up
  2. Leopard 1A5 Bundeswehr
  3. Weathering, the Belgian Leopard Conversion Continues
  4. Leopard AS1 Aus Cam Update
  5. Leopard AS 1 Olive Drab Lusterless Update
  6. Dutch Leopard 1
  7. Australian Leopard AS1 Dozer
  8. Danish Leopard 1A5DK
  9. Takom 1/35 Canadian C2 Leopard Mexas
  10. Australian Trials Leopard Tank
  11. Australian Leopard AS1 with drivers and engine compartments.
  12. Leopard AS1 Engine, Engine Bay and Drivers Compartment Latest Progress
  13. Unfinished Business – Finishing Off the Belgian Leopard
  14. Trying New Techniques On Tamiya Leopard A3/A4
  15. Revell Leopard 1 A1A4 Weathering And Camnet
  16. Leopard 1 A1A1 With Peddinghaus Turret
  17. 1/35 Camouflage Nets
  18. Camnet Construction continued...

Well, I left you having glued on the surgical gauze to your vehicle. Then I got carried away and finished off the two tanks and didn't photograph the process!

So I'm continuing with a Schutzenpanzer Marder. Having added the gauze I then painted it a suitable colour. In this cave a very dark grey, thinned so that it stained the gauze but didn't have too much effect on the underlying paint. One of the things to be aware of, it that when crews apply to their vehicles, they avoid draping the nets over anything like hatches/episcopes etc. Also the net is draped to be easily erected when moving into a hide/laager. Try and keep this in mind when adding your nets.

When the has dried I moved on to adding the 'garnish'. For this I use Bostik white glue, which I think has better sticking quality for this job than PVA. I applied the PVA in clumps and then a large amount of Parsley onto the glue. After about 5 minutes I tamped down the Parsley.

I repeated this for the Oregano. Parsley is greener than the Oregano, which is better for a European environment. Both herbs were applied in bands to give a nice brown/green contrast. Using a few pages of a newspaper to catch the excess herbs which I then filled up an empty jar with the remnants. Soon I'll have a nice blend of the two herbs for later use.

The last images show the Leopards from the first article alongside the Marder. Note that I've tried to glue the herbs in 'bands'

I hope that this has been of some help/interest to you.
P.S. The models smell nice as well!

16 additional images. Click to enlarge.


3 responses

  1. Wow, talking about outstanding results here, Ian! Really wonderful, and, of course, very interesting to see!
    Thanks for sharing, together with the tips!

  2. The added camo nets looks fantastic, Ian @ianfoulk96
    Thanks for sharing.

  3. Thanks Spiros and John, it's very nice of you to say so.

Leave a Reply